Door-to-door selling to offer goods or services on credit is a common practice, particularly among seniors. Without going so far as to say that all salespeople are unscrupulous, they go to the inhabitant with the sole objective of transforming him into a customer. Fortunately, there are several laws governing doorstep selling. Let’s focus on the main points of attention to check to avoid being scammed.
Door-to-door canvassing: points of attention
The consumer code largely frames “door to door”. A common practice, the main object of which is generally the conclusion of a consumer credit. Without going so far as to say that it is still a scam, we can at least highlight the points of attention to check when the case arises:
- Always ask and verify the identity of the salesperson. Some do not hesitate to impersonate members of a large group (EDF, La Poste, etc.), in order to reassure their interlocutor. These groups do not practice door to door. A popular practice is also to sell an energy transition balance sheet. You don’t have to take a salesperson’s word about their identity. It is always interesting to ask him what he intends to sell, because that is the only objective of his presence. When his product or service is potentially interesting, it is always interesting to ask him to come back on a specific date, later. In this way, it will be possible to investigate in the meantime, or to request the presence of a third party.
- No payment of money can be claimed before obtaining possible financing. Any request for a credit advance is a scam.
- Any proposal must be the subject of a clear and complete sales contract, obligatorily mentioning the following points:
– All the detailed characteristics of the good or service
– The delivery time
– Legal information concerning the identity of the professional
– The presence of the legal withdrawal period (14 days)
- In the case of a credit financing proposal, you must check:
– The integrity of the lender: is it registered with ORIAS and recognized?
– The rate of the APR consumption credit and the repayment period
It is difficult to imagine that a consumer credit proposal via doorstep selling is more attractive than that of the major online specialists. Never sign a credit agreement without having read the offer. Using an immediate response credit comparator also gives you a good idea of your borrowing capacity. The works loan benefits in particular from low rates.
The withdrawal period applies in all cases
Any sale concluded outside the establishment grants a right of withdrawal of 14 days. It is also the withdrawal period specific to any consumer credit. The absence of this mention on the sales contract extends the period of 12 months. When the professional communicates on this subject in a second time, a new period of 14 days begins from the date on which the information has been added to the contract.
To go further, the site economie.gouv.fr has gathered everything you need to know about doorstep selling.